Social Network: What Platform?
Which social media platform to use is often the first place people start. Actually, the choice of platform is best selected with consciousness and knowledge of how the various platforms can allow you to get different goals and whether your audience is using them.
When I work with company owners on their social networking plans, I help them to examine:
- How the platforms you utilise work and how you can use them most efficiently
- That the platforms you are using have your audience present for you to connect and communicate with
The good news is that you have lots of choice – from Twitter to Google Plus to Facebook! That can be challenging in itself to know what is out there and what can work for you.
- Resource – how often do they need updating, and who will do that?
- Where they hang out online.
- How much time you’ll spend on social networking, compared to other marketing for your business
- Ease of use
- What your audience / target market is
The good news is that most platforms are free, although some have a paid element, meaning that these are efficient and affordable ways to add credibility to your online image.
A couple of top tips to get you started:
- Consider some training to get you up to speed, quicker
- Start small and organically with clear goals
- Work out your marketing goals
- Measure your successes so you can do more of what is working
- Always open with listening to understand how the platforms work and if your audience is present
- Don’t just rely on social media – use different platforms, tools and networking in “real life” to get results. Social media is a communications tool, not a pot of gold!